Image Map

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Battle of the Boxes :: February 2013

Blog
For those of you who live under a rock and are not familiar with Birchbox and Ipsy, check out those links for what they are about. I really enjoy my beauty box subscriptions each month, because it's an inexpensive way to try new products. And who doesn't like get a little snail mail once and a while?

Even though each of the subscriptions are only $10, I like to compare them each month to see which of them provide this most bang for my buck. Birchbox has had some hits and misses with me, leaving me disappointed more then just one month. Ipsy has blown me away with products that I love, and never have jipped me of barely there samples. So let's compare this month's boxes?

Blog
Let's start with Ipsy. First off it came right on time this month in the beginning of February, unlike Birchbox which arrived today after getting lost in storm Nemo. The theme was "red carpet ready" with products to channel your inner celebrity. I thought it was perfectly themed for the season of award shows, but then I got my Birchbox, which had the SAME exact theme. So I give them an -F for originality. But back to the Ipsy bag and what it contained. The bag this year was black patent leather, with red lining. Kind of reminded me of a classic Louboutin. I threw out the card that had discount codes on it because I could barely read it, and if I wanted the codes they are on the website. So here is the breakdown of contents:

Pixi Prime and Poreless
I have been using Benefit's Porefessional as of lately. Even though I only have larger pores on my cheeks, I use a primer more for smoothing out my skin before foundation. This hydrates my dry skin, but doesn't leave me shiny like other primers I have tried before. I have never boug anything from Pixi before, but after really liking how it make my skin look, I will be sure not to pass it the next time I go to Target.

Blog
Coastal Scents Shadow Palette
I have a concealer palette from them and love it. I was thinking about getting one of their eyeshadow palettes, just because tons of gurus use the 120 color palette for their tutorials. The colors are pigmented and didn't crease. I'm glad I got the colors I did because some subscribers received a yellow and green color scheme.

MicaBeauty Gel Eyeliner
I prefer liquid eyeliner, and really can't step away from my NYC liquid eyeliner. I am happy I got this because I was about to buy the Maybelline gel liner, so that saves me a few bucks! And this is full size wooooo! The swatch on my hand took me about five minutes to scrub off, so you know it's not going to budge when on your eye!

Blog
Pop Mascara
You really can't go wrong with mascara samples. I switch up what I use all the time, and as long as it makes my short, blonde lashes look long and dark I am a happy camper.

Blog
Lash Cards
I can't even tell you how many time I do a perfect smokey eye, and then forget to let my mascara dry. Then I look in the mirror and there's black smudges all over my eyelid. So I'm waiting for a day where I do more then just my everyday makeup to try these, but I know that they will go to good use.


Now for the Birchbox contents:

Blog
Jouer Matte Moisture Tint
The most frustrating thing about samples, are when the samples are too small to even get the idea of how the product works. The sample is pretty much air, and it's the size of my pinky. Not only that,io but I already received this sample in a previous box. So that alone really made me question if I still want to stay a subscriber.

Skin&Co Roma Cleansing Body Gel
haven't tried it yet, but the gel is really strong, and more on the masculine side. It's smells kind of like Neutrogena cold cream, but I'm going to give it a try my next shower.

Vasanti Brighten Up!
I love exfoliates, I just need to make sure it's not to harsh for my dry skin. I use a Clarisonic, so I am going to see if using this product would be ok to huge, and not over process my skin. All the reviews on the website says that it doesn't dry out skin and leaves skin glowing.

Blog
Lancôme Hypnôse Star Mascara
like I said in the Ipsy review, I'm a fan of masacaras, and I'm really surprised this was in my box. Haven't tried it yet but I will do a review down the line of mascaras I use.

There was a Ghirardelli square in my Birchbox, but I totally ate that before actually seeing what else was in my box, whoops! Ipsy had a value of around $62 and Birchbox had a value of $12. I mean I know it's just $10, but Birchbox can do a little better with their quality of their samples. So who wins this month? Ipsy for having great samples that I know I will use and not just go in my makeup storage. How did you like your box or bag this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment